The Road to Know Where has compiled a treasure trove of free Windows software. They have gone through the painstaking process of navigating Microsoft's convoluted website (hey MS, take a tip from your friends in Cupertino!) so that you don't have to. They also throw in a few third party applications for good measure. Here are some highlights (as I see 'em) from the over 150 item list:
- Tweak UI gives access to system settings not exposed in the default user interface, including mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.
- Desktop Search – Enterprise Edition is optimized to help the enterprise IT manager easily customize, deploy and manage the installation of desktop search across their organization.
- ISO Recorder Power Toy makes images of CDs & DVDs to create ISO images.
- Mount ISO Files Virtually - this tool allows ISO image files to be mounted virtually as a CD/DVD device.
- SyncToy helps copy, move, and synchronize files with digital cameras, e-mail, cell phones, portable media players, camcorders, PDAs, and laptops. (Support: How to . . .) I mentioned this last week. It's worth a second look.
- Video Decoder Checkup Utility helps determine if an MPEG-2 DVD video decoder is installed, and whether it's compatible with Media Player 10 or Media Center Edition. This is invaluable if you have a Windows MCE box.